So you got engaged and you’re considering a destination wedding in Ireland.
Organizing a wedding abroad is a lot of work, but before you cross it off your list, take a little time to research the costs, scope and timeline. I promise you’ll be surprised at how manageable it is!
When I was planning our wedding week in Ireland, I followed some general wedding timelines I had found on the web, but none were at the level of customization needed for a small Irish wedding. I followed my own path and kept lots of notes along the way so I could one day share my plans with other emerald-eyed brides-to-be.
A few important notes before you dive into the details:
- Below is intended to be a guide, not a prescription. Every situation will be different.
- I managed to plan a wedding abroad for 31 people in only 6 months (2 weddings, actually). While doable in 6 months, I recommend you add 2-3 months to these plans to allow more time to breathe easy and account for unforeseen circumstances.
- Below is only an abbreviated timeline, but stay tuned — I will be releasing a detailed Trello planning board for getting married in Ireland soon.
Here is my summarized timeline for planning a wedding-week in Ireland. Click through each item to learn more.
How to get married in Ireland:
A month-to-month Irish wedding plan blueprint
7 months prior:
- Look at your finances
- Source cost estimates for everything
- Draft your wedding guest list
6 months prior:
- Book your lodging & venue
5 Months prior:
- Confirm guests
- Book your flights
4 Months prior:
- Coordinate travel with guests
3 Months prior:
- Shop for and book your vendors
- Buy your wedding dress and suit
- Book car rentals
2 Months prior:
- Arrange your styling (accessories, makeup, hair, decor & flowers)
- Book your City Hall marriage
1 Month prior:
- Plan your wedding reception music
- Buy wedding bands
- Practice your hair and makeup
- Secure house sitting and pet sitting
- Exchange USD for Euros at your local bank or AAA office
2 Weeks prior:
- Plan your wedding day timeline
1 Week prior:
- Send final email confirmations and contact info
- Start packing!
Questions on anything here? Write to me!